Just for you LaLa!
Indulge
Main Entry: in·dulge
Pronunciation: in-'d&lj
Function: verbInflected Form(s): in·dulged; in·dulg·ing
Etymology: Latin indulgEre to be complaisant transitive
verb1 a : to give free rein to b : to take unrestrained pleasure in :
GRATIFY2 a : to yield to the desire of :
HUMOR b : to treat with excessive leniency, generosity, or considerationintransitive verb : to indulge oneself - in·dulg·er nounsynonyms INDULGE, PAMPER, HUMOR, SPOIL, BABY, MOLLYCODDLE mean to show undue favor to a person's desires and feelings. INDULGE implies excessive compliance and weakness in gratifying another's or one's own desires . PAMPER implies inordinate gratification of desire for luxury and comfort with consequent enervating effect . HUMOR stresses a yielding to a person's moods or whims . SPOIL stresses the injurious effects on character by indulging or pampering . BABY suggests excessive care, attention, or solicitude . MOLLYCODDLE suggests an excessive degree of care and attention to another's health or welfare .
**********************************
Maybe I should have used 'mollycoddle' since 'indulge' isn't allowed in my small WBHS vocabulary!!! :o}
Ya see.. my sister seems to think just because I don't always verbalize certain words that I'm not allowed to use them when writing. I didn't see that rule in Bloggers Rule Book. Sorry. :-P
No comments:
Post a Comment