When MG was 2 weeks old, we got a call from our pediatrician’s office letting us know that MG had a part of her newborn screening test (PKU) to come back from the state with abnormal results. They wanted us to do a repeat blood test to confirm what the original test was showing. So, on Friday, October 27th, we went in for them to take her blood for retesting. Reading on the internet can really scare the pants off of ya. Everything I was reading was saying that there was a chance, that due to the high TSH level, she could have mental or physical retardation. Fear shot through me like an arrow. I know the Lord gave her the verse Jeremiah 29:11 for a reason. I sat in her nursery, rocking her & praying that verse over her. What a great reminder that even when I think I’m in control, the Lord reminds me that He is the one who is in control. He loves her more than I do and His plans for her are to prosper & not harm her, to give her hope & a future. I was so thankful for the peace He gave me through praying those words over her little body. The results came back on Monday, Oct 31st. Her TSH level was still high. It was 20, but it was down from the hospital score of 79. Surely, that is okay right?! Wrong. We were referred to a pediatric endocrinologist where we received some reassuring news. She has a super nice doctor. He basically told me that she would have to go undiagnosed for 3 mos. before any kind of mental or physical retardation set in. We caught hers very early. That made me feel LOTS better because in all my research, I couldn't find a definite time frame that we were working with. I mean, did it set in at 2 weeks, 6 mos., a year? what?? So, getting that answer was great relief. They started her on 50 mcg of Synthroid. He said it was very important that we get her TSH level down as quickly as possible. TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone and it is released when the pituitary gland detects low levels of T4 hormone. Once we get the Synthroid (T4) in her.. the TSH will go down because the pituitary gland will detect proper levels of the hormones. Basically he equated it to being vitamin deficient... if you were deficient, you'd take a vitamin... with her she's hormone deficient so she'll be on hormone. He did say close to her 2nd BD we'll reevaluate her. If we've not had to increase her dosage in the months leading up to her 2nd BD, then we may be able to take her off to see how she does on her own. If she does great, then she can come off. If not, she'll be on it indefinitely. Right now, it's essential that she be on it to keep her brain growing and developing properly.
She’s going to be fine, just fine! I know it…for the LORD has told me so! J
1 comment:
I'm gonna start calling you Dr. Kelly :) Praying for baby girl and you sister friend :)
Post a Comment