Tuesday, November 6, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY!

Well, I don't have any pictures of my uncle Billy to share. Unfortunately, he passed away before all this new technology such as the internet & digital photography that we have readily available to us now. But, today would have been his birthday. He would have been 56 years old, I believe. It's been 19 years since he passed away. It doesn't seem like that long ago. I can remember it like it was yesterday even though I was just a kid. Another victim of the tragic illness, cancer. So... HAPPY BIRTHDAY UNCLE BILLY!!
Today's RBC.org devotion.
November 6, 2007
Better Yet

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. —Philippians 1:21
Sir Francis Bacon said, “I do not believe that any man fears to be dead, but only the stroke of death.” Woody Allen said, “I’m not afraid to die. I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”
It’s not death that’s so frightening. It’s the dying that scares us. As Paul faced imprisonment and the prospect of dying in a jail cell, he shared his view about life and death: “To live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Phil. 1:21). What a perspective!
Death is our enemy (1 Cor. 15:25-28), but it does not possess the finality that so many dread. There is something waiting for believers beyond this life—something better.
Someone has said, “What the caterpillar thinks is the end of life, the butterfly thinks is just the beginning.” George MacDonald wrote, “How strange this fear of death is! We are never frightened at a sunset.”
I love this paraphrase of Philippians 1:21, “To me, living means opportunities for Christ, and dying—well, that’s better yet!” (TLB). During our physical life, we have opportunities to serve Jesus. But one day, we will actually be in His presence. Our fear will melt away when we see Him face to face.
That’s the “better yet” the apostle Paul is talking about!


Personally, having a better understanding of Eternity helps me to be totally at peace with death. Where will you spend Eternity? Do you know without a doubt that you'll go to Heaven when the end of this life is done? If not, please don't hesitate on starting that relationship right now! This world could come to an end right now, tomorrow or next week or several years from now. The point is to be ready at any given second. Unfortunately, many aren't given the last days of sickness to "get things right" before death comes. We could leave this world very unexpectedly and I want You to know without doubt where you'd end up. First, you have to admit & acknowledge you are a sinner. If you think you haven't sinned... maybe go through the checklist of the 10 Commandments. Ever lied, stolen anything? Ever said Oh My God? That's taking the Lord's name in vain! Do you realize that there is no amount of good works that can get us into Heaven? Simply being a good person, donating to charities, etc. won't do it. Going to church every time the door is open won't purchase our ticket to Heaven. Nothing but the blood of Jesus Christ can buy your ticket. Believing that Jesus died an innocent death on the cross for yours & my sins, is the ONLY way to enter into His kingdom. I know without doubt that God has prepared a place for me in Heaven. A place where there is no more sickness, no more tears, no worries, no more mean & hurtful situations/people. My next life has sooo much more to offer than this life. Acts 17:30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now He commands all people everywhere to repent. He will forgive us of our past, but we have to repent & ask forgiveness! It's my prayer that I see you all in Heaven with me!
Sorry... got carried away there, but I'm seriously passionate about it! And, if you aren't sure, you better call me right away!!

On to other ramblings... Nate has gotten to the fun stage of asking "WHY?" to every single thing! Oh my goodness... the WHYS don't stop. And, today at the lunch table he cracks me up by counting on his hand/fingers things that he thinks we "have to do" today. We gotta go to Lance's house, Conner's house, Brady's house, pick up socks & shoes, ride bikes, play on swingset, go to DahBuh's house and go to the ballfield.
Funny little kid. Then last night, Alex told me he had boogies. So, I told him he needed to go get a Kleenex. Nate said, "no, he needs a tennis shoe." I was like huh?? Then I realized he was trying to say he needed a TISSUE. HAHA..

1 comment:

Lisa said...

This is a great tribute to his memory. Yes, he would have been 56 years old and while in some ways it seems like only yesterday in other ways it has been a long 19 years. He loved you very much and as you said we will see him again!
Lisa